Thursday, July 06, 2006

Today, I watched West Side Story (1961) and I LOVED IT. A few years ago, for the Chinese Association Chinese New Year dances, someone coordinated a dance with us Chinese girls and guys to the WSS "America." He let us watch the movie clip of the "America" dance and I thought it was very upbeat and cute. Now, like four years later, I finally watched the whole movie and fell in love with it.

Few movies make me shiver, and a few times I felt goosebumps run up and down my body. I was definitely in awe of the magic. :D I read Roger Ebert's review and thought that Anita's and Bernardo's performances were probably better, more emotional (and Bernado looked better looking than Tony did, but that's just my humble opinion), but Maria (Natalie Wood)'s final speech after Tony dies made me shed tears "Now I have hate too" :(

What was up with the tomboy girl with the Sharks?

Oh the other day, I watched Superman Returns with my friend Shuaib. :) The movie was so... emotional, not really an action flick like the other superhero/Marvel movies tend to be. The better superhero flicks tend to be more emotional and exploring the psyche of the hero(es) and tends to be more dark; ie: Batman Begins. I didn't feel emotionally satifsying watching Superman Returns (and I don't think Kate Bosworth is pretty... sorry.) despite Singer's funny-haha moments in the movie that he loves inserting! At the end, I was like, "Okay so basically nothing really has changed..." [SPOILER?] I think Lois ends up with her new boy because it's been too long.

No comments: