Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Today, I decided to designate this as my "music" day :] Well, morning. I picked up the guitar, played/learned some chords (and gaining some new callouses while I'm at it), and actually practiced some flute. I've learned a lot of the basic chords for guitar - D maj, C maj, G maj, A min, D min, E min (my favorite minor chord as of right now) - hopefully, I'll be able to play some songs (from memory) soon!

I like guitar because by itself, you can be a band :D ... well, you can play multiple notes at the same time, unlike most instruments like the flute, clarinet, saxophone, etc. I mean, try playing Michelle Branch or other guitar music on a flute - it doesn't really work. And vice versa - there's the LOTR theme for guitar, but it's single string, so it's not that great. :D Anyway, I do like the blend of the notes that instruments like the guitar and piano can make.

Speaking of piano, I really want to learn piano (I never took lessons), and I can play basic stuff, but I don't really have the patience to learn to coordinate my left and right hands -and- learn how to read bass clef with efficiency... ^_^' Maybe one day. Maybe next summer. Who knows...

Anyway, I spent my late morning/afternoon cutting out stuff from magazines (again) and ornating my journal pages with them. Fun... I really like quotations, so I posted a lot in my pages. Here are some of my favorite ones:

QUOTES

"If you love something, don't set it free"

"I'm not going to shut up. I have earned the right to have an opinion." -Reese Witherspoon

"I've learned that you can make a mistake, and the world doesn't end." -Lisa Kudrow

"I don't care if going to college ruins my career. I'd rather be smart than a movie star." -Natalie Portman (Harvard :D she graduated though, right?)

"It's distancing when people say they don't have problems. Life is about messing up and getting on your feet again." - Debra Messing


I watched The Butterfly Effect yesterday... Every suspense/scary movie I see leaves me with a funny feeling as the credits are rolling. Deep thoughts, deep thoughts. Well, let me tell you, I'm still not very fond of Ashton Kutcher as an actor (after seeing parts of Just Married, I was like "...What?!") - you can't really take him seriously, and I don't think he's *that* goodlooking of a guy - but he was okay in this movie. Not A-List material, but decent. He plays a guy named Evan who has all this traumatic events happen to him in his childhood, but the thing is, he blacks out before he actually witnesses those traumatic events firsthand. He visits doctors, and it is suggested that he keeps journals. Evan grows up and attends college, majoring in psychology. One day he's reading over his old journals, and he transports back to when he had written the entry. He realizes he can change the past (funny how he's in the past but he has the brain of his 20-something year old self...) and he does so in order to save from horrible fates his dear childhood friend Kayleigh, her psychotic killer brother Tommy, and his mentally ill friend Lenny. Everytime he goes back to change the past, out comes a new future with new past memories... but each one he is left unsatisfied, so he goes back in time again and again... so when does it end? Anyway, I won't give away spoilers, but the ending is pretty... eh, powerfully strange. You should be left with this weird, unsettling feeling that lingers long after the VHS/DVD is back in its case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog you have. I have a conn silver clarinet
related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is conn silver clarinet